Recipe by Derf
Quick cooking chicken stew, wonderfully fragrant with Moroccan spices. Serve over couscous for an authentic meal. from Heart Healthy Cooking by Becel
Top Review by Bergy
Wonderful flavor and the aroma while it's cooking is mouth watering. Another good one Dorothy I used my spice mill and whirled all the spices to gether. Browned the chicken with the onion & garlic and let it cook until just about cooked covered then as the recipes said added the spices, broth, carrots, raisins but held off on the zuke. When I added the cornstartch I put in the zuke and added 1/2 cup frozen peas, Excellent meal in one
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil (Becel)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 3⁄4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 2 -3 medium carrots, julienned
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- chopped fresh coriander (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place fennel seeds (if using) on a cutting board and break them by cutting once or twice with a large, heavy knife.
- Or if you have a mortar and pestle, give them a couple of grinds to lightly crush and release the aroma.
- In a small bowl, mix crushed fennel seeds, cumin, cinnamon and cayenne; set aside.
- In a large nonstick frypan, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Brown chicken with onion and garlic about 5 minutes.
- Stir in fennel mixture and sauté 1 minute.
- Add broth, zucchini, carrots, raisins and salt; bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over low heat stirring once, 5 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 1 tablespoon water, stir cornstarch mixture into pan and cook until thickened.
- Serve over prepared couscous or rice and garnish with chopped coriander.