Recipe by dicentra
Quick From Scratch Soups & Salads - Food & Wine. WINE: Soup with such a riot of flavors needs a wine that's big but simple. Try a California zinfandel here for its generous, spicy fruit, supple texture, and full body. Berry-flavored zinfandel.
Top Review by carmenskitchen
This recipe is also in the Quick from Scratch Chicken Cookbook -- Food and Wine, which I own. I have been meaning to make this one and I just so happened to have almost everything on hand. I love recipes that require so little ingredients but are high in flavor. I was skeptical at first, thinking that it wasn't going to be very robust but I was wrong. Served with a simple salad and wine. Thanks for the post!!
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 4)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 3⁄4 cup tomato puree
- 1 quart water
- 2 cups canned low sodium chicken broth or 2 cups homemade stock
- 1⁄2 cup couscous
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to moderately high. Add the chicken, cayenne, cumin, salt, and pepper to the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the sweet potato, zucchini, tomato puree, water, and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the couscous to the soup. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the pot from the heat. Let the soup stand, covered, for 2 minutes; add the parsley and serve.