Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
The Chicken Cookery provided this yummy recipe. It is so very good on a cold winter day or a rainy Wednesday night....
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon oil, vegetable
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 16 ounces whole tomatoes, canned and quartered with juice
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 4 cups couscous or 4 cups white rice, prepared
- 1⁄4 cup raisins, seedless
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, sliced
- Pour the oil into a Sauce pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes or until the onion is soft.
- Stir in the turmeric, cinnamon, red pepper, cloves, and bay leaf.
- Add chicken and chicken stock and cook over medium-high heat until liquid boils.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 25 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, green pepper, carrots, and salt, and cook for another 10 minutes or until the chicken and the vegetables are tender.
- To serve place layer couscous first.
- Then with a slotted spoon, arrange the chicken and vegetables around the couscous.
- Ladle broth over all, and if you want to you can sprinkle with raisins and slivered almonds.
This was quite a good dish. My boyfriend even complimented it and said we should make it again. Decreasing the amount of broth is definitely necessary and the addition of the almonds and raisins truly completes the dish. Thanks for a great recipe.
This is just so damn good! I think it will be a regular in my household
We omitted the carrots, chickpeas, raisins and almonds and the dish was still great!! The reason we didn't use the chickpeas is we were already having Hasa Al Hummus soup (Recipe #140868). Both were excellent!