1/1 Photo of Moroccan Chicken
1 hr 15 mins
This is something I made to go with JanS Spice Mix. I have to mention Iain Hewiston and Claudia Roden who helped me make up this recipe as I took ideas from both of them as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 kg chicken pieces (skin on or off)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1/2 kg pumpkin, butternut cut in 1 inch squares
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ras el hanout spice mix (JanS recipe)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 12 pitted prunes, about
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 lemon, juice of
- salt and pepper
- 1Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- 2Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper add to skillet and brown about 5 minutes per side.
- 3Transfer chicken to plate.
- 4(you will have to do chicken in batches so as not to crowd the pan too much) Pour off all but a thin film of fat from the pan.
- 5Add the onions and reduce the heat and cook the onions until very tender and beginning to brown about 10 minutes.
- 6Add the pumpkin and cook for further 2 minutes.
- 7Add the spice including saffron and stir until quite fragrant, about 1 minute taking care not to burn.
- 8Add the chicken, chicken stock, cinnamon stick, tomatoes, prunes and honey, lemon juice.
- 9Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes until chicken cooked.
- 10Take out the chicken, keep warm simmer the sauce without lid for about 10-15 minutes until thickened.
- 11Serve with couscous or rice.
- 12Sprinkle with couscous and add a dollop of yoghurt.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (705 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 906.2
- Calories from Fat 495
- Total Fat 55.0 g
- Saturated Fat 14.7 g
- Cholesterol 236.1 mg
- Sodium 313.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 21.8 g
- Protein 62.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ras el hanout spice mix