Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
A great crock pot recipe.If you don't want to use turmeric (it's rather pungent) you can use a dash of ground ginger instead. I like this with couscous, but you can use rice, my husband can't stand couscous ( I don't understand why), so I usually serve rice. If you do use couscous, cook it in pineapple juice instead of water, it is a great flavor twist! I got this from the Betty Crocker Slow Cooker Cookbook.
- 8 skinless chicken drumsticks
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice or 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice, undrained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 3⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1⁄4 cup sliced pimento stuffed olive
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Place chicken in a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker. Mix pineapple, onion, garlic, lemon juice, salt, marjoram, red pepper and turmeric;pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 4 to 5 hours or until juice of chicken is no longer pink when center of thickest pieces are cut. Remove chicken from cooker, using slotted spoon; place in serving dish. COver to keep warm.
- Remove fat from sauce. Mix cornstarch and water; stir into sauce.
- Caver and cook on high heat setting about 15 minutes or until thickened. Stir in olives.
- Pour sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with parsley.
I don't know what it was about this recipe -- it seemed a lot blander than I thought it would be. Perhaps it was just not our cup of tea. Thanks for sharing, though. I love to try new recipes.