Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe comes from the Bon Appetit Test Kitchen. Found on my search for ZWT recipes.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 lb carrot (large)
- 2 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt, stirred to loosen
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, saute 2 minutes. Mix in carrots. Add broth, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir cumin seeds in small skillet over med-high heat until fragrant, 4-5 minute. Cool and then finely grind in spice mill.
- Remove soup from heat. Puree in batches in blender until smooth. Return to same pan. Whisk in honey, lemon juice and allspice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle yogurt over, sprinkle generously with cumin.
This soup is very yummy with the topping or without. For my son, it's better without. For me I used fat free sour cream on top and cumin seeds. Thanks DeeVaFoodie :) Made for your win in Bargain Basement tag game
I loved this though DD was not a fan but she is not big on carrots at the best of times !! I did stir a tiny bit of diced bacon through this and put some toasted cumin seeds on top. I am looking forward to another serve tomorrow ! Made for ZWT 6.