Recipe by Lavender Lynn
This recipe is from Food & Wine.
Top Review by evelyn/athens
Very good - and the kids loved that the carrots hadn't been cooked. I made a half recipe but kept the full amount of spices, and I thought that was just perfect, so I would suggest possibly upping the spices a bit if you make the full amount. Did add a (small) handful of chopped pistachios over top for added crunch.
- 4 navel oranges, 1 orange zested and juiced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb carrot, cut into 3-inch matchsticks
- 1⁄2 lb medjool dates, pitted and thinly sliced lengthwise
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, whisk the orange and lemon juice with the zests, sugar, cinnamon, cumin and cayenne. Gradually whisk in the olive oil and season the dressing with salt.
- In a large bowl, toss the carrots with all but 2 tablespoons of the dressing and let stand at room temperature for 40 minutes.
- Using a very sharp knife, peel the remaining 3 oranges, carefully removing all of the bitter white pith. Cut in between the membranes, releasing the orange sections into the bowl with the remaining dressing. Add the dates and toss. Arrange the carrot salad on a platter, spoon the oranges and dates around it and serve.