1/1 Photo of Moroccan Carrot Salad With Dates and Yogurt (Vegan-Friendly)
I'm not sure if this recipe is more inspired by Moroccan cuisine or close to a traditional recipe...it doesn't matter to me. From a local CSA flyer but the original recipe source is unknown. You can easily make this recipe vegan by omitting the plain yogurt and substituting another sweetener for the honey. A link to ras el hanout recipes on this site: http://www.food.com/recipe-finder/condiments-etc/ras-el-hanout. I use this one: North African Ras El Hanout Spice Mix.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 -8 carrots, grated (I used standard orange, indigo and yellow carrots)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted (walnuts, pistachios, pine nuts, hazelnuts are good substitutes)
- 3 large dates, chopped small (I used a combo of medjool and deglet noor dates)
- lettuce leaf
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1 -2 tablespoon honey (Local honey is best! I had to warm the honey a little to make it easier to whisk.)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 -2 teaspoon orange flower water, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ras el hanout spice mix
- 1/4 cup greek style plain yogurt
- 3 -4 tablespoons fresh mint, minced (save a few leaves for garnish)
- 1Grate the carrots and place them in a bowl. Stir in most of the almonds (save a few for garnish) and the dates.
- 2Whisk together the dressing. Taste and correct seasonings, add more lemon juice or yogurt if necessary. Pour the dressing over the carrot mixture; stir.
- 3Serve immediately or cover and chill.
- 4Garnish with a few sliced almonds and fresh mint leaves before serving.
- 5If desired, the carrot salad can be served over a bed of lettuce. I served it over butter lettuce.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Carrot Salad With Dates and Yogurt (Vegan-Friendly)
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 175.0
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 1.9 mg
- Sodium 72.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 13.2 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
orange flower water
ras el hanout spice mix