Recipe by gailanng
This salad can be served as a first course for a Moroccan inspired meal. From Easy French Food.
- 1 lb carrot
- 1 orange
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro or 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 -2 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon harissa or 1 pinch cayenne
- kalamata olive (optional)
- toasted pine nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Juice the orange. Scrub the carrots clean and slice them diagonally into 1/4 inch thick rounds. Place them in a medium sized pot and pour all but 1 tablespoon of the orange juice on top. Fill the pot with just enough water to cover the carrots. Simmer the carrots on low heat for about 15 minutes. They should be just tender - not at all mushy.
- Remove the carrots from the heat, drain off the water, and allow to cool.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, reserved orange juice, chopped cilantro or parsley, honey, salt, pepper and cayenne. Add more salt, pepper or cayenne pepper to the dressing according to your taste.
- When they have cooled, mix the carrots with the dressing and serve or refrigerate.
- If desired, add a handful of toasted pine nuts for extra crunch or a handful of Kalamata olives for a salty contrasting flavor.
- This salad can be enjoyed either chilled or at room temperature.