This is adapted from Claudia Roden's "The New Book of Middle Eastern Food". I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor combos. It tastes like a very fresh carrot cake without all the work...and it's healthy!
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (black or golden)
- 1 orange, juice of (optional to soak raisins) (optional)
- 1 lb fresh carrot, peeled and coarsely grated (I used my peeler to make long ribbon like strips)
- 3 -5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon honey
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- If you wish you can soak the raisins in fresh orange juice for 15 minutes first. Then drain.
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Let sit at room temperature for at least 1 hour for best flavor.
- Refrigerate leftovers.