Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This unusual, sweetly spiced, Moroccan Carrot Dip is wonderful served with olives and warm flat bread for dipping. From a recipe by Jill Dupleix.
- 16 ounces carrots, peeled and chopped into large pieces
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and left whole
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons seeded green olives (left whole or chopped, your preference)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 -6 rounds flat bread or 4 -6 pita pocket bread
- Cook the chopped carrot and garlic in simmering, salted water, for about 20 minutes or until soft.
- Drain well, then return them to the hot, dry pan for a minute or two, over medium heat, to dry them out further.
- Tip the carrots and garlic into the food processor bowl, and process until smooth.
- Add the cumin, paprika, ginger, cinnamon, cayenne, sea salt, honey and lemon juice and whizz again.
- With the machine still running, add the olive oil gradually.
- Allow to cool.
- Spoon into a serving bowl, drizzle with a little extra olive oil, scatter with olives and cilantro leaves, and serve with lightly warmed flat bread for dipping.
This was delicious! I made it for a party so I left out the olives, in case some people didn't like them, and I subbed dried cilantro because i didn't have fresh. It was gone quickly! Incidentally, I make my own baby food and could never get my youngest to like carrots as the older too did....On a whim, I gave hime some of this while I was prepping for the party...he sucked it down. I'm making a DOUBLE batch today!
My friends and I formed a supper club and we cook a different country or regional cuisine each month. This month was Moroccan and I made the carrot dip as an appetizer. It's absolutely delicious, easy to make, tastes exotic, and smells and looks beautiful. Wonderful!
I made this last night for a food day at the office today and it nearly didn't make it to work at all! I think I could live on this! I made the recipe mostly as written (skipped the olives and cilantro and garnished with a liberal sprinkling of za'atar). This is really good (who knew carrots could taste so fluffy?!) and very mildly spiced (for my pickier, non-spice-consuming coworkers). This is great as a dip, but I think it'd make a lovely sandwich spread too (and I'm pretty sure I'll be marinating tofu in the spice/honey/lemon combo. Very nicely balanced flavors, very versatile! Thanks!