Recipe by Sassy in da South
This is a delicious chicken pie. Even though it takes a bit of effort the payoff is scrumptious.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 cups hot water
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 (17 1/2 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees.
- Place chicken breasts in a small saucepan and cover with bouillon and water.
- Poach over medium-low heat, just below the boiling point.
- Cook 8 to 10 minutes, until no longer pink in center.
- Dice chicken.
- Reserve bouillon.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs with 1/2 cup reserved bouillon and chopped parsley.
- In a separate bowl, mix together cinnamon and sugar.
- Roll out one sheet of pastry into a 12 inch square.
- Cut other sheet of pastry in half and roll out into two 8 inch squares.
- Fit 12 inch square of pastry into a 9 inch pie pan.
- Spread half of diced chicken evenly across bottom of pastry.
- Pour half of egg mixture over chicken.
- Sprinkle with half of cinnamon and sugar mixture, then with salt and pepper.
- Cover with one 8 inch square of pastry.
- Cover pastry square with remaining chicken, egg mixture, and cinnamon and sugar.
- Sprinkle with more salt and pepper.
- Cover with remaining pastry square.
- Fold edges of bottom pastry over top of pie.
- Brush with melted butter or margarine.
- Sprinkle additional sugar and cinnamon on top, if desired.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes, until golden brown. Serve lukewarm or cold.