Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Great way to use up stale bread! I have made this with and without the herbs and olives and both ways are good, just the one without is a bit simpler. Maybe more of an appetiser than a main course.
For the salad
- 2 green peppers, grilled and peeled
- 125 g ciabatta, half the crust removed
- 300 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves (optional)
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)
- 120 g black olives (optional)
- sea salt
- black pepper
For the dressing
- 1 garlic clove, crushed to a paste with salt
- 1 teaspoon lightly pan-roasted cumin seed, roughly ground
- 1 tablespoon sweet red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons tomato juice
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 220C or 425°F.
- Put the peppers into char.
- Meanwhile, break up the bread into bite-sized pieces and place on a roasting tray.
- Put in the oven for 10 minutes until lightly toasted.
- Peel and tear the charred peppers into strips and make the dressing.
- In a bowl, mix the garlic with the cumin, vinegar, tomato juice, salt and black pepper.
- Add the olive oil and whisk well.
- Season to taste.
- When the bread is ready, transfer to a large salad bowl and pour over half the dressing.
- Toss and let sit for a few seconds, before adding the peppers, tomatoes, herbs and olives.
- Pour on the remaining dressing, toss again and check the seasoning.
- Serve with a bit of extra olive oil drizzled on top, if you like.
I have made this salad a couple of times and loved it each time. I have added shredded carrot as well as seeded sliced cucumber and celery. The toasted crushed cumin seeds and fresh herbs make this salad something special. Thanks for posting.