1/1 Photo of Moroccan Bread
2 hrs 20 mins
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
From the Food and Cooking of Spain, Africa and the Middle East, posted for ZWT3. Especially good for serving with tagines or stews with lots of liquid that needs sopping up. I'm sure it would work well made with all white flour instead of the white/whole wheat blend. Prep time includes rising time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup warm milk (thinned with a bit of water - 1 cup of liquid total)
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1place the warm milk mixture ina small bowl or glass measuring cup, stir in the sugar and then sprinkle with the yeast.
- 2stir, then set aside in a warm place for about 10 minutes, till frothy.
- 3in a large bowl, mix together the two flours and salt.
- 4add the yeast mixture and enough warm milk and water to make a fairly soft dough.
- 5knead into a ball and knead on a floured surface for 10 minutes, adding as much flour as necessary to make an elastic dough.
- 6divide the dough into two equal pieces and shape into flattened ball shapes.
- 7place on floured baking trays and press down with your hand to make round breads about 5-6 inches in diameter.
- 8cover with oiled plastic wrap or a clean damp cloth and set aside in a warm place for 1 - 1 1/2 hours, till risen.
- 9the breads are ready to bake when the dough springs back if gently pressed with a finger.
- 10preheat the oven to 400.
- 11sprinkle the loaves with the sesame seeds and bake in the oven for 12 minutes.
- 12reduce heat to 300 and continue baking for 20-30 minutes till they are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped underneath.
- 13serve warm.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Bread
Serving Size: 1 (929 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1040.9
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 28.4 mg
- Sodium 2435.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 198.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.3 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 37.2 g