1/1 Photo of Moroccan Braised Chicken Legs and Thighs With Carrot Juice, Date
1 hr 15 mins
Tastings by CeCe's Note:
This fine Cooking recipe was really easy. I used California dates as Medjool dates were unavailable. I served it with couscous cooked in chicken stock. The Moroccan flavors were absolutely delicious. This was a very inexpensive dish. Yet it was elegant in presentation. Hope you enjoy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 medium bone-in skin-on, chicken thighs, trimmed of excess skin and fat
- 4 medium skin-on chicken drumsticks, trimmed of excess skin and fat
- kosker salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/4 cups carrot juice
- 3/4 cup chicken broth, homemade or 3/4 cup canned low salt
- 10 -12 medjool dates, pitted and halved
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Season the chicken pieces generously with salt and pepper. Using a 10-11" straight side ovenproof saute pan with a lid, heat the oil over medium-high heat until very hot. Arrange the chicken skin side down in the pan (it'll be crowded), and cook until deeply brown, about 5 minutes. Use a splatter screen if you have one). Turn the pieces over and cook until the other sides are deeply browned, 3 to 5 minutes more. Transfer to plate.
- 3Pour out and discard all but 1 tablespoon of the fat in the pan. Put the pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequestly, until it's soft and begins to color, 6 to 8 minutes.
- 4Add the ginger, cinnamon, and cumin and stir into the onions for about 1 minute.
- 5Pour in the carrot juice and broth and bring to a boil, scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- 6return the chicken to the pan. Cover, transfer to the oven and braise for 15 minutes.
- 7Add the dates and continue to braise until the chicken is fork-tender and the drumstick meatstarts to come away from the bone, 30 to 35 minutes more.
- 8With a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken and the dates to a serving dish and keep warm by loosely covering the dish with foil.
- 9Tilt the saute pan and skim off as much fat as possible from the sauce.
- 10Bring the sauce to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer until the sauce is slightly thickened, abouth 5 minutes.
- 11Add the lemon juice and season to taste.
- 12Pour the sauce over the chicken, sprinkle with the chopped cilantro and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Braised Chicken Legs and Thighs With Carrot Juice, Date
Serving Size: 1 (190 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 177.0
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 167.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 17.9 g
- Protein 2.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: