1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 15 mins
I found this recipe on another website. It originally came from Bon Apetit magazine. I made it when I wanted to do something a little different with stewing beef. The original recipe suggests to serve it with couscous, but anything to soak up the delicious gravy is good. When I made it, I used 1 and 1/2 cups of red wine since I didn't have any sherry and added a little sugar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 1/2 lbs stewing beef, cut into cubes
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (more or less, depending how hot you like it)
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 1/2 cups golden raisins
- 1Season the beef with salt and pepper and brown it in the oil in a skillet in batches. (Optional: after each batch you can deglaze the pan by adding some of the beef stock and stirring to loosen the browned bits. Keep this liquid to add to the stew later.).
- 2Remove beef.
- 3Add a little more oil and saute the onions (seaoning with salt and pepper) until nicely browned (about 10 minutes).
- 4Add the garlic and next 5 ingredients and stir for 1 minute. Add the wine and sherry, turn the heat to high and reduce until thick, about 8 minutes.
- 5Add the beef broth, the tomatoes, the beef cubes (with accumulated juices), the broth you used for deglazing and the raisins.
- 6Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for about an hour and a quarter until the sauce is thick and the beef is tender.
- 7Alternately, put the pot in a 275 to 300 degree oven.
- 8Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- 9The stew can be refrigerated and reheated before serving (this helps to bring out the flavours) or served right away.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Braised Beef
Serving Size: 1 (378 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 330.8
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 410.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 26.5 g
- Protein 3.7 g