Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
very simple to make, and a lovely side dish.
- 6-8 medium beets
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 4.92 ml cumin, to taste
- salt and black pepper
- 59.16 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 118.29 ml diced fresh parsley
- Place water in a 3-quart saucepan, and bring to a boil.
- Add beets, and simmer until beets are tender when pierced with a fork, about 45 minutes.
- Cool, peel, and cut beets into bite-size pieces.
- Place in a serving bowl.
- Place lemon juice, garlic, cumin and salt and pepper to taste in a small bowl.
- Whisk in olive oil, then toss with beets.
- Let sit a few hours.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with parsley.
Wonderful! My first time preparing fresh beets--and man, what a hit! I could just munch on these babies all day. What a treat. Thanks for such a winning recipe!
I promised myself that this year I would prepare fresh beets -- not from a can. I know beets are not the most popular veggie, but I just love them. First it was canned harvard beets as a child, then canned pickled beets as I grew older. They are fabulous in a salad, and provide so much color. Soooooooo, last week fresh beets were on sale, and I decided to take the plunge. For this foray into unchartered waters, I picked chia's recipe, and I really enjoyed making a recipe with fresh beets. Easy peasy! The cumin flavor is not too strong, but provides a nice subtle reminder that these are not your typical beets from a can.
This salad is DELICIOUS. I normally eat beets with salt, vinegar and olive oil. This is a wonderful vaiation and I only make beet salad this way now. Thanks for sharing, Chia.