Recipe by mersaydees
This recipe is based on one from Lou Seibert Pappas’ cookbook, Extra-Special Crockery Pot Recipes. She says, “Serve this unusual cake warm with scoops of coffee or chocolate ice cream.”
Top Review by Dessert Rose
Fantastic. It's wonderful room temperature. Everyone at a Christmas party loved it. I sprinkled mine with white sugar before serving. It only needed 115 minutes in the crockpot on high. You can change up the dates with raisins or dried cranberries. Also the chocolate chips can be changed up with white, butterscotch etc. and you can use a tsp. of vanilla, rum or almond extract. The possibilities are endless. I also made with white flour and it was good! I highly recommend this recipe. I cooked mine in a rival cake/bread pan insert made for crock pots. Lined the bottom with waxed paper, and used cooking spray (Pam). Cool on wire rack 6 minutes then invert onto wire rack, remove waxed paper & cool completely. Perfect for the holidays because it's no fuss, easy and yummy for a busy time of the year.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 3⁄4 cup dates, chopped or 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare a 2-quart pudding mold or 2-pound coffee can by greasing and flouring. Set aside.
- In bowl of electric mixer, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating until smooth after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In small bowl combine applesauce and soda; stir in to mixer bowl.
- Mix flour, cinnamon and salt together. Add to creamed mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Mix in chocolate bits, dates (or raisins) and walnuts.
- Turn into prepared pudding mold or coffee can. Place in crockery pot. Cover with 4 layers of paper towels. Place crockery pot lid loosely on top to allow steam to escape. Cook on high (300°F) 3 to 3 ½ hours, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.