Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
This recipe is based on one from Lou Seibert Pappas’ cookbook, Extra-Special Crockery Pot Recipes. She says, “Serve this unusual cake warm with scoops of coffee or chocolate ice cream.”
- Prepare a 2-quart pudding mold or 2-pound coffee can by greasing and flouring. Set aside.
- In bowl of electric mixer, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating until smooth after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In small bowl combine applesauce and soda; stir in to mixer bowl.
- Mix flour, cinnamon and salt together. Add to creamed mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Mix in chocolate bits, dates (or raisins) and walnuts.
- Turn into prepared pudding mold or coffee can. Place in crockery pot. Cover with 4 layers of paper towels. Place crockery pot lid loosely on top to allow steam to escape. Cook on high (300°F) 3 to 3 ½ hours, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
This is so fantastic! I actually ended up using all whole wheat flour and half pecans. Tastes AMAZING warm with vanilla ice cream! Made for ZWT 9