- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon anise seed
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups bread flour
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl soften yeast in warm water with sugar and set aside for 5 minutes. Add milk, salt, and aniseed.
- Add the flour and beat for 50 strokes until a mooth soft dough forms. (it may be a sticky dough).
- Cover and let rise until double.
- On a baking sheet with oiled fingers flatten to 1" thickness.
- Let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Prick loaf all over with fork.
- Bake at 375F for 35-40 minutes.