Recipe by Shannon Holmes
I made these using ingredients I had on hand. They are good warm with margarine or at room temperature. I am going to try them with different ingredients next time to experiment.
- 1 cup grated zucchini (or a mix of zucchini and grated carrot)
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 (14 ounce) candrained mandarin oranges, shredded
- 1 cup flaked cereal, of choice (I used Special K Low Carb)
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup soymilk (or more)
- 3 tablespoons flaked coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease 6 large or 12 small muffin cups.
- Mix zucchini, carrots, raisins, mandarin oranges and cereal in a large bowl and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Stir in oil and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar, flours, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add flour mixture to the cereal mixture, fold in nuts.
- Stir in the soy milk to make the batter not so thick.
- Divide batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- Sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool, covered for about 5 minutes and serve warm with margarine or remove after the 5 minutes and cool to room temperature and store in a paper towel lined Tupperware bowl.
- Freeze after 1-2 days.