Recipe by CarolAT
This is the ultimate breakfast muffin made healthier by reducing the calories and fat. I found this delicious recipe in a Good Housekeeping magazine.
Top Review by Singin'Chef
Fantastic recipe! Went gluten-free with ease! Only subbed honey in for molasses (as some don't appreciate that flavor too much here)...but followed the recipe otherwise. Amazing how moist they are with so little oil! A great find! THANKS!
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal, uncooked (quick-cooking oats work just as well)
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat milk
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup light molasses
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 3 medium carrots, shredded (1 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup dried plum, chopped (prunes)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 12 standard muffin-pan cups or line cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; stir in oats.
- In a medium bowl, with fork, mix milk, applesauce, brown sugar, molasses, oil, and egg until blended; stir in carrots and dried plums.
- Add applesauce mixture to flour mixture; stir just until flour is moistened (batter will be lumpy).
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin-pan cups. (Muffin cups will be full.) Bake 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
- Immediately remove muffins from pan. Serve warm, or cool on wire rack to serve later.