Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
From April/May 2011 Cook's Country
- 3⁄4 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, toasted
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and shredded
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, shredded (2-3 medium)
- 1 cup golden raisin
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat to 350 degrees. Grease 12-cup muffin tin. Process coconut and walnuts in food processor until finely ground. Add flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt and pulse until combined. Transfer to large bowl.
- Place pineapple and shredded apple in fine mesh strainer set over liquid measuring cup. Press fruit dry with a spatula or the back of a spoon (juice should measure about 1 cup.) Bring juice to boil in large skillet over medium-high heat and cook until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly. Whisk melted butter, cooled juice, eggs and vanilla until smooth. Stir wet mixture into dry mixture until combined. Stir in fruit, carrots and raisins.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean, 24-28 minutes. Cool in tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack. Serve warm. Can be stored in airtight container for 3 days.