Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A little different from the other Morning Glory Muffins because it uses apple butter. This is a weight watchers recipe. Each muffin is 3 points.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded apple
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup apple butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in large bowl.
- Stir in carrot and next 5 ingredients. Make a well in center of mixture.
- Combine oil and next 4 ingredients; stir with a whisk.
- Add oil mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
- Spoon batter evenly into muffin cups coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 for 25 - 30 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center.
- Remove muffins from pan immediately; let cool on a wire rack.
This morning glory muffin rivals the muffin at my local favorite bakery, Macrina, which is saying A LOT!! It was moist, flavorful, and hearty. I made two substitutions: I used equal part apple sauce for the vegetable oil, and equal part Bob's Red Mill all-purpose gluten free flour instead of regular flour (plus 3/4 teaspoon xantham gum that the GF flour package recommends for muffins). They turned out AMAZING, and I should say for anyone who thinks baking gluten free is hard or tasteless -- Bob's Red Mill products are amazing, and I swear you won't be able to taste the difference!
I got this recipe from Cooking Light and it is a great one! These muffins taste like great carrot cake--they could be carrot cake cupcakes with the addition of some cream cheese frosting!
Very good. The only thing I did not add was the raisins. Very moist. The whole family liked them. Also we did not put butter on. We ate them right out of the oven. This we will be making again.