Recipe by cathy england
I like the recipe because it is easy. If you don't want to get up early and have to make breakfast early it is already made the night before. All you have to do is pop it in the oven in the morning and let it cook while you are getting ready for the day. It came from my late Grandma...may God bless her soul. I miss her. This makes a great Christmas morning casserole as you can cook it while opening Santa's gifts. Try it. It is yummy and saves time on Christmas morning--or anytime.
Top Review by cathy england
This is a excellent casserole.. I even added mushrooms and olives and onions.. it is really easy to make and saves alot of time in the morning. I even added a little salsa to it for more flavor... its good!!!!!!
- 2 lbs bulk sausage, mild or hot
- 8 slices bread, remove crusts
- 3⁄4 lb grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, brown sausage; crumble and drain.
- Butter a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish.
- Place bread (torn into bite-sized pieces) in bottom of dish.
- Place sausage on the top of bread.
- Sprinkle cheese over top.
- In a large bowl, mix beaten eggs, milk, salt, and dry mustard; blend well.
- Pour over the other ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, uncover and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
- Slice into squares and serve warm.
- You may also add some ham, cut into bite-sized pieces, or crumble some bacon in it along with the sausage.