Recipe by Jellyqueen
My family loves morning casseroles. I love them because all the work is done the night before. This really comes in handy on those mornings when you have overnight company and want something really yummy, but don't especially want to make the large mess in the kitchen.
Top Review by HungarianChef
I like making it with a couple of different kinds of meat (bacon, sausage, ham, etc.). Also, I'm lactose intolerant so I have tried it with soy milk (double the soy milk and don't use the mushroom soup) and soy cheese. It turns out just as well.
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1 lb sausage, browned and drained
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese or 2 cups cheese, of choice
- 1 can mushroom stems and pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- salt and pepper