Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My family loves morning casseroles. I love them because all the work is done the night before. This really comes in handy on those mornings when you have overnight company and want something really yummy, but don't especially want to make the large mess in the kitchen.
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1 lb sausage, browned and drained
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese or 2 cups cheese, of choice
- 1 can mushroom stems and pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- salt and pepper
- The night before: Mix all ingredients as and place in a 13x9x2 inch casserole dish that has been sprayed with oil.
- Place in refrigerator.
- Morning: Remove dish from refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cook for 1 hour or until lightly browned.
I like making it with a couple of different kinds of meat (bacon, sausage, ham, etc.). Also, I'm lactose intolerant so I have tried it with soy milk (double the soy milk and don't use the mushroom soup) and soy cheese. It turns out just as well.
I made this for dinner last night and it was great! I halved it with no problems and used whitewheat bread for the cubes. I think this would be great with bacon or ham instead of the sausage. Thanks for posting!
Great way to use leftovers! I had lots of leftover garlic mushrooms from last night's dinner and omitted the peppers (personal preference). Turned out pretty tasty!