Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Use Mornay sauce on poached eggs, souffles, or on omelets, fish (when poached or steamed) or vegie dishes. If you have a double boiler, use it to prepare the sauce (not a requirement)
- 1 cup white sauce
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, fresh grated
- 2 tablespoons swiss cheese or 2 tablespoons gruyere cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder or 1⁄2 teaspoon onion juice or 1 teaspoon grated shallot
- cayenne pepper
- Blend the egg yolk and cream with the white sauce.
- Place these ingredients into a sauce pan and bring the contents slowly to a low boil.
- Whish in the cheese (s).
- Remove the suace from the heat and season to taste with salt and cayenne pepper to taste.
The onion is not authentic. (Neither is the yolk and cream, but I could make allowance for that.) The onion changes the character of the sauce and it should not be called mornay in this form, imo.