Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
This came from an older "American Heritage" cookbook. The small sage flavored meatballs give it quite a different taste!!!
- Rinse split peas.
- In a large kettle or dutch oven, combine split peas, cold water, onion, celery, 2 teaspoons salt, marjoram and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Bring to boiling, cover and simmer until peas are tender (about 1 hour).
- Do not drain.
- Meanwhile, combine ground pork, sage, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (mix thoroughly).
- Shape mixture into 24 1-inch balls.
- Drop meatballs and potatoes into soup mixture and return soup to boiling.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes longer (until potatoes are tender.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.