Recipe by River Otter
I recently visited my aunt in Ogden UT. We stopped by The Greenery for these muffins. After some diligent hunting we found their recipe. These are almost like a yeast bread when fresh baked. Serve them the Utah way with honey butter. Prep time is approximate. May be shorter.
- 2 cups boiling water
- 5 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 4 cups all-bran cereal
- 2 cups bran flakes
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine water and baking soda. Stir until dissolved. Cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream sugar and shortening.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine flour and salt and add to cream mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Fold in both cereals and nuts.
- Fill greased or paper lined muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes until they test done.
- Muffin batter may be kept for 1 week in refrigerator and baked in smaller batches if desired.