Recipe by Morgan's Mom
Goes perfect with almost any meal. We've even been known to make a meal of it by itself sometimes! Kids will even love this, you'll be surprised! (As a matter of fact, my daughter is the one who named this recipe when she was 7...she requests this almost weekly, and whenever we do make it, she will eat 2 or 3 helpings in one sitting!)
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled and diced
- 1 cup onion, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place cucumbers in a colandar (over a bowl) and sprinkle with the salt. (Don't be scared of the amount of salt, it really doesn't make the cucumbers salty). It will help draw the water out and make your end result less watery. Let that sit for at least 2 hours in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, dice the onions very fine.
- After the cucumbers are drained, place them in a large bowl. Add the onions. Pour the vinegar over this mixture, then add the sugar. Let it sit for another hour in the fridge. After this, you will want to taste it to make sure it's not too tangy or too sweet. You'll want a perfect blend of both flavors, combined with the saltiness that's already there.
- After you're happy with that result, add the rest of the ingredients, ending with the cheese.
- Adjust all seasonings to taste!
- Chill for one hour before serving.
- Some things to note:.
- * I wouldn't add more salt to this salad other than what you salted the cucumbers with in the beginning. The parmesan adds a bit of saltiness anyway.
- * You can cut back on the onion if 1 cup seems too much, but I will tell you that once the other flavors are combined, you will NOT taste any overpowering onion flavor. It's just perfect!
- * Try to use Kosher salt for this as well as the Tarragon vinegar. I think the Tarragon flavor is a must for this salad.
- * Personally, I've been known to drain the cucumbers over night, and add all of the other ingredients the next day. But that's just me. :-).
- * Actually, I add a bit more of the garlic powder, onion, powder, and pepper. I play around with the dill measurement as well. ADJUST TO YOUR LIKING.
- * The "cooking" time is actually the waiting/draining time.
- * I promise this is worth it! :-) ENJOY!