I suppose you could make this with other types of cherries -- but it won't have the same flavour. Morello's are not meant for eating out of hand -- they DO make the most superb liqueur. This is the homemade liqueur you'll find in every Greek family's cupboard. This takes 1 1/2 months to macerate properly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash and remove the stems from the cherries.
- 2Place a layer of cherries in a 4-quart jar and cover with a ½ inch layer of sugar.
- 3Continue layering cherries and sugar in this manner, ending with sugar.
- 4Add the spices and vodka.
- 5Seal jar.
- 6Place in a spot that receives the most sunlight during the day.
- 7Leave to macerate for 4 weeks.
- 8Add the brandy.
- 9Seal tightly and let stand another 2 weeks, shaking every so often.
- 10Strain into another bottle.
- 11Discard spices.
- 12Put cherries back in the bottle.
- 13Store in a cool, dark place.
- 14To serve: Pour into your pretties liqueur glass (the liqueur is ruby-red) and add 1-2 cherries to each glass.
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Morello (Sour) Cherry Liqueur
Serving Size: 1 (5336 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1887.5
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 285.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 273.2 g
- Protein 3.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: