Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I suppose you could make this with other types of cherries -- but it won't have the same flavour. Morello's are not meant for eating out of hand -- they DO make the most superb liqueur. This is the homemade liqueur you'll find in every Greek family's cupboard. This takes 1 1/2 months to macerate properly.
- 4 lbs fresh morello cherries (or other variety)
- 3 lbs sugar (approximately)
- 2 pints vodka
- 2 pints good-quality brandy
- 2 cinnamon sticks (about 3 inches long)
- 10 whole cloves
- 1 whole nutmeg (optional 6-8 allspice berries (optional)
- 1 star anise (optional)
- Wash and remove the stems from the cherries.
- Place a layer of cherries in a 4-quart jar and cover with a ½ inch layer of sugar.
- Continue layering cherries and sugar in this manner, ending with sugar.
- Add the spices and vodka.
- Seal jar.
- Place in a spot that receives the most sunlight during the day.
- Leave to macerate for 4 weeks.
- Add the brandy.
- Seal tightly and let stand another 2 weeks, shaking every so often.
- Strain into another bottle.
- Discard spices.
- Put cherries back in the bottle.
- Store in a cool, dark place.
- To serve: Pour into your pretties liqueur glass (the liqueur is ruby-red) and add 1-2 cherries to each glass.