Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is our favorite way of having cherries on hand that can be turned into a bunch of great recipes with minimal effort... sauce, vinaigrette, dessert topping, pastry filling, or a wonderfully simple but amazing glaze. Keep it on hand yourself and find out how many uses you can find for it!
- 1 (12 ounce) jarmorello cherries, drained and juice reserved (available at Trader Joe's)
- 1⁄2 cup cherry juice (from the jar)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 tablespoon kirschwasser (cherry brandy or plum liqueur can be substituted)
- 0.5 (1 7/8 ounce) package dry pectin
- 1 pinch salt
- Combine cherries, sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest in a non-reactive bowl and let stand for 30 minutes.
- In a heavy-bottomed sauce pan, combine cherry juice and pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil for 1 minute.
- Add cherries/sugar/lemon mixture, kirschwasser, and salt to juice/pectin mix. Bring back to boil for 3 minutes.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Store in air-tight jar. (You can process this by canning it for extended storage.).