Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Morels in a rich sweet sauce.
- 1⁄4 cup stock
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ounce dried morel, soaked, reserving 1/2 cup soaking liquid
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- fresh lemon juice
- Bring stock to boil add sugar, without stirring, cook for 5-10 minutes rill thickened. Remove pan from heat and carefully add vinegars balsamic vinegar down side of pan. Stir mixture over moderate heat until it comes together about 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- In a heavy saucepan cook morels in butter, stirring, over moderate heat until liquid from morels is evaporated, about 5 minutes. Transfer morels with a slotted spoon to a bowl and reserve. Add shallots, garlic, and thyme sprig to pan and cook, stirring, until golden. Stir in wine and boil until reduced to about 1 cup, about 15 minutes.
- Add stock and reserved morel soaking liquid and reduce to about 1 1/4 cups, about 15 minutes. Remove pan from heat and stir in syrup mixture. Add morels to sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- Flavor with and lemon juice.