Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup plain soymilk
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar (originally 1 1/4 c)
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup finely ground almonds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Line muffin tin with paper cupcake liners, Set aside.
- Mix together the soy milk and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl. Stir well and set aside for about five minutes (the mixture will curdle).
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another mixing bowl whisk together the soy milk mixture, oil, vanilla, and almond extract. Add the wet to the dry ingredients and whisk together until all of the large lumps are gone. Fold in the 1/4 of finely ground almonds.
- Fill each muffin cup about 2/3rds full. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until a cake tester inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then remove cupcakes from the pan and place on a wire rack. Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.