Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
This copycat version is close to the recipe used by Winkler Bakery in the preserved Moravian village of Old Salem, North Carolina.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 8 ingredients (through allspice), stirring with a whisk.
- Place molasses, butter, and sugar in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed for 2 minutes. Add flour mixture; beat just until blended (dough will be crumbly). Divide dough into 4 equal portions.
- Place each portion on a sheet of wax paper; cover with plastic wrap. Roll each portion to a 1/8-inch thickness (Roll the dough as thin as possible to achieve a properly light, crisp texture). Freeze 10 minutes; remove plastic wrap. Cut with a 2 1/2-inch round cutter. Place cookies on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350F for 6 minutes or until edges of cookies are browned. Cool 5 minutes on baking sheets. Remove from baking sheets; cool completely on wire racks. Repeat procedure with remaining dough.