1/1 Photo of Moravian Sugar Cake (Authentic)
4 hrs 45 mins
My Grandma would roll over in her grave right now if she knew I was posting her Moravian Sugar Cake recipe but why keep such a delish recipe under wrap? My family is Moravian this recipe comes straight from the church. My Grandma used to make this all the time on Sunday mornings for breakfast with coffee or tea. It's a bit time consuming, but well worth the effort.
My Private Note
large s ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1 tablespoon) package dry yeast, dissolved in
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup hot mashed potatoes (if using instant, use water for liquid & do not add salt)
- 1 cup scalded milk, cooled to warm
- 6 -7 cups flour
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1To proof yeast, add a pinch of sugar to the yeast in lukewarm water (hot water will kill the yeast action). If it foams, it is good.
- 2In large mixing bowl, cream eggs, salt, sugar & shortening till smooth.
- 3Gradually add warm milk & mashed potatoes, stirring a bit. Then add yeast, mixing well. Add flour, a cup at a time, until dough is stiff enough to turn out on a floured board.
- 4Knead dough until soft & spongy (about 10-15 minutes by hand, or if done in a food processor, mix until it forms a ball). Place in large greased bowl in a draft free, warm place & cover with a damp towel. Let dough double in size (approx. 2-3 hours).
- 5Punch down and divide dough.
- 6Place in greased pie pans or large cookie sheets, cover & let double in size again (approx. 1 ½ hrs.).
- 7Spread melted butter on top of cakes, punching holes in dough about 1 inch apart with fingers. Be careful not to punch down to bottom of pan but only half way down. Mix the topping thoroughly & pour into holes in the dough.
- 8Sprinkle remaining crumbs over top & sprinkle with cinnamon.
- 9Bake in pre-heated oven at 350 for 20 minutes or until golden & fully baked on the bottom. Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moravian Sugar Cake (Authentic)
Serving Size: 1 (2367 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4005.3
- Calories from Fat 1365
- Total Fat 151.6 g
- Saturated Fat 66.1 g
- Cholesterol 388.2 mg
- Sodium 2876.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 609.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.1 g
- Sugars 272.8 g
- Protein 57.6 g