Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Goes great with roast pork. It is a creamy style sauerkraut.
- 1 (2 lb) bagfranks sauerkraut (or equivalent)
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium potato, grated
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon flour
- Drain juice from kraut.
- With kraut still in bag add tap water.
- Pour kraut and water into a saucepan and heat over a low flame.
- Fry bacon, crumble and add to kraut, saving fat for onion.
- Sauté onion in fat till soft and add to kraut.
- Add potato to kraut.
- Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Make a roux by adding flour to bacon fat.
- If too sour add 1 tsp sugar to kraut.
- Good dining.
I like the subtle bacon flavor and that the dish still retains some of the tang of the sauerkraut. Made for PAC Spring 2013.
Very good .He forgot to say when to put the caraway seeds in ,but I knew
easy to make. Tried it with thanksgiving Turkey. Very good