Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
A nice crisp cookie with a snap!
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses, unsulfured
- 1⁄4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 3⁄4-2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- powdered sugar
- Melt shortening in small saucepan over low heat.
- Remove from heat; stir in brown sugar, molasses and corn syrup.
- Set aside; cool.
- Place 1 1/2 cups flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves in large bowl; stir to combine.
- Beat in shortening mixture.
- Gradually beat in remaining 1/4 cup flour to form stiff dough.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface, adding more flour if too sticky.
- Form dough into 2 discs; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease cookie sheets; set aside.
- Working with 1 disc at a time, roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/16-inch thickness.
- Cut dough with floured 2 3/8-inch cookie cutter.
- (If dough becomes too soft, refrigerate several minutes before continuing.) Gently press dough trimmings together; reroll and cut out more cookies.
- Place cutouts 1/2-inch apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake 8 minutes or until firm and lightly browned.
- Remove cookies to wire racks; cool completely.
- Place small strips of cardboard or parchment paper over cookies; dust with sifted powdered sugar.
- Carefully remove cardboard.