Recipe by mollypaul
If you happen to have a hickory tree, this recipe is for you. From the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 2 cups hickory nuts, finely chopped and mixed with 2 tablespoons of the flour
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
Directions See How It's Made
- Line 10 x 14 inch cake pan with waxed paper and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter or shortening and sugar until very light and fluffy.
- Add one egg at a time, alternately with 1 tablespoon flour.
- Beat at least five minutes after adding each egg.
- Continue alternating flour and eggs until all the eggs have been added.
- Add remaining flour and nuts.
- Add the brandy.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 1 1/2 hours or until cake tests done.