Prep 2 hrs
Cook 40 mins
Thin, crisp rolled cookies with a good ginger and molasses flavor. If you get tired of rolling these out, roll into balls, flatten them out and bake. I have often made and brushed them with a clear boiled sugar/water glaze, and when the glaze dried my children referred to these as my "varnished" cookies.
- Sift together into bowl the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger.
- Add the brown sugar and mix well.
- With pastry blender, cut in butter and lard. (I use my Kitchen Aid for all).
- Gradually add the molasses and vinegar and mix thoroughly.
- Chill several hours or until firm enough to roll.
- Using a small amount of dough at a time, roll out on floured surface to about 1/8 inch or more thickness and cut with fancy cutters.
- Bake in preheated moderate oven 350 degrees F. for about ten minutes or until browned.
- Cool and decorate.