Prep 0 mins
Cook 12 mins
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 1 1⁄3 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup lard or 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon orange extract
- 4 -5 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- Combine molasses, sugar, lard and soda dissolved in 2 tablespoons hot water over low heat. Melt and cool.
- Add orange extract. Gradually add flour sifted with spices.
- Dough should be firm.
- Mix and knead thoroughly.
- Cover well and set in cool place to ripen.
- Roll small amounts of dough to 1/16" - 1/8" thick on a well floured board.
- Cut into shapes with floured cutters. Use old-fashioned cookie cutters for added interest.
- Place on greased tins, smoothing out any air bubbles.
- Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until light brown--watch carefully.
These cookies are worth the preparation time and very moreish - I made the mistake of not making the full quantity shown here.
I'm not too fond of molasses but tried this anyway. The preparation was too time consuming for my liking. It's nice and spicy if you like spice and molasses.