Recipe by hollyfrolly
Ok, the MOST delicious meal in the world. I always splurge and do this with halibut but you can use any firm fish fillet you find. You will not believe how incredible the flavors from this stew are. Savor and enjoy!!!! --Recipe from Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Recipes (Note- a few minor changes have been made to the original recipe)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, ground
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine (only use what you would drink!)
- 4 cups potatoes, cubed
- 4 cups fennel (often referred to as Anise)
- 28 ounces plum tomatoes, un-drained
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary (use a tea strainer) or 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 teaspoon dried orange peel
- 1 pinch saffron (generous!)
- 1 lb halibut fillets (a firm fish fillet) or 1 lb black-tip shark fillets (a firm fish fillet) or 1 lb cod fish fillet (a firm fish fillet)
- 16 ounces bottled clam juice
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute garlic and onion in the oil over medium heat. Stir frequently (about 7-8 minutes).
- Add the ground fennel and white wine and cook for two minutes.
- Add the chopped fennel, potatoes, tomatoes, and clam juice.
- Place the rosemary and orange peel in a tea ball or make a boquet garni and add it to the stew.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add saffron and fish to the stew and simmer for about 20 minutes (until fish flakes with fork).
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with basil or parsley and serve with fresh bread.