1/3 Photos of Moosewood's Italian Fish Stew
1 hr 15 mins
Ok, the MOST delicious meal in the world. I always splurge and do this with halibut but you can use any firm fish fillet you find. You will not believe how incredible the flavors from this stew are. Savor and enjoy!!!! --Recipe from Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Recipes (Note- a few minor changes have been made to the original recipe)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, ground
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (only use what you would drink!)
- 4 cups potatoes, cubed
- 4 cups fennel (often referred to as Anise)
- 28 ounces plum tomatoes, un-drained
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary (use a tea strainer) or 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 teaspoon dried orange peel
- 1 pinch saffron (generous!)
- 1 lb halibut fillets (a firm fish fillet) or 1 lb black-tip shark fillets (a firm fish fillet) or 1 lb cod fish fillet (a firm fish fillet)
- 16 ounces bottled clam juice
- salt and pepper
- 1Saute garlic and onion in the oil over medium heat. Stir frequently (about 7-8 minutes).
- 2Add the ground fennel and white wine and cook for two minutes.
- 3Add the chopped fennel, potatoes, tomatoes, and clam juice.
- 4Place the rosemary and orange peel in a tea ball or make a boquet garni and add it to the stew.
- 5Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 6Add saffron and fish to the stew and simmer for about 20 minutes (until fish flakes with fork).
- 7Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with basil or parsley and serve with fresh bread.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moosewood's Italian Fish Stew
Serving Size: 1 (522 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 431.9
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 71.5 mg
- Sodium 408.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 33.1 g