1/3 Photos of Moosewood's Butternut Squash Soup With Sage
1 hr 30 mins
This golden soup has a tantalizing aroma and a light crunch from the sage leaves. From the Moosewood Restaurant in New York
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 lbs butternut squash
- 6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 large Spanish onions, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups apple juice or 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 20 fresh sage leaves, sliced on the diagonal
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 2Brush the bottom of a baking pan with olive oil and set aside. Cut the squash through the stem ends into halves, prick the skin in several places with a knife, and scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
- 3Brush the cut surfaces with about a tablespoon of the olive oil.
- 4Put the garlic inside the squash cavities and place halves in the pan cut side down.
- 5Add the onions to the pan and brush with remaining olive oil. Pour the water into the bottom of the pan, cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 50 minutes.
- 6Uncover and bake for 5-10 minutes more or until the squash is tender and the onions are soft.
- 7When the squash is cooled enough to handle, scoop out the flesh.
- 8Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skins and discard the skins.
- 9In batches in a blender, combine the baked vegetables, apple juice or stock, thyme, nutmeg, salt and pepper and puree until it is smooth. (If you are making this ahead - chill here - and when ready go to the next direction).
- 10Pour the soup into a pot and heat gently.
- 11In a small skillet, melt the butter and saute the sage leaves until dark and curled.
- 12Garnish each bowl of soup with the sage leaves.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moosewood's Butternut Squash Soup With Sage
Serving Size: 1 (639 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 413.1
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 5.0 mg
- Sodium 623.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 28.6 g
- Protein 4.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves