Recipe by death_by_parsnip
This is one of my favorite Moosewood recipes, and it is so easy! My toddler even loves this recipe. This cold salad is perfect during the hot summer months, and goes great with meals that are cooked on the grill. I find that adding 1 T red wine vinegar makes it absolutely perfect. Moosewood categorizes this recipe as a "Main dish salad" but I prefer it as a side dish. I always omit the celery because it is the one vegetable that I do not like.
Top Review by kriggsbee
I used a few alternate ingredients in this recipe, but it turned out crisp and perfect nonetheless. I halved the recipe, used minced garlic in olive oil, omitted the celery, used fresh basil, and substituted apple cider vinegar. This is a great side item for grilling chicken or seafood. It is also very light.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, minced
- 6 celery ribs, with leaves sliced (optional)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint or 1 tablespoon fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 tomatoes, cubed or 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste