Recipe by sofie-a-toast
So, I'm kind of a picky eater and while I like a lot of spices and cusines, there are quite a few basic ingredients out there I can't stand, three being: swiss cheese, mushrooms and...egg. So why in the world would I post this recipe? Only because it completely knocked my socks off! Somehow when you combine all those yucky ingredients in this magical way it turns into the most delicious brunch...or lunch...or dinner ever! Enjoy!
Top Review by DailyInspiration
I made your delicious quiche today for lunch. If you love sauteed mushrooms, you'll love this quiche. It was really nice and filling and I made it for a light lunch vs. breakfast. The only change I would make next time is to add the flour (maybe less of it) directly to the mushrooms and onions so it will soak up any remaining butter and juice from the onions and mushrooms. Made for Culinary Quest 2016 - New York City. : )
Base of Quiche Ingredients
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated swiss cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 lb sliced mushrooms
- salt and pepper
Egg Custard Ingredients
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover bottom of crust with swiss cheese.
- In a frying pan, melt butter and saute onions until soft and translucent.
- Add mushrooms, a dash or two of thyme and salt and pepper to taste and saute for 5 more minutes or until cooked through.
- Spoon veggies over cheese in pie crust.
- In a medium bowl, beat all of the custard ingredients together until thouroughly mixed.
- Pour custard over mushroom layer until pie is full (there might be some left over).
- Sprinkle paprika over the top and cook in a 375* oven for 40-45 minutes.