Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
So, I'm kind of a picky eater and while I like a lot of spices and cusines, there are quite a few basic ingredients out there I can't stand, three being: swiss cheese, mushrooms and...egg. So why in the world would I post this recipe? Only because it completely knocked my socks off! Somehow when you combine all those yucky ingredients in this magical way it turns into the most delicious brunch...or lunch...or dinner ever! Enjoy!
Base of Quiche Ingredients
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated swiss cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 lb sliced mushrooms
- salt and pepper
Egg Custard Ingredients
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder
- Cover bottom of crust with swiss cheese.
- In a frying pan, melt butter and saute onions until soft and translucent.
- Add mushrooms, a dash or two of thyme and salt and pepper to taste and saute for 5 more minutes or until cooked through.
- Spoon veggies over cheese in pie crust.
- In a medium bowl, beat all of the custard ingredients together until thouroughly mixed.
- Pour custard over mushroom layer until pie is full (there might be some left over).
- Sprinkle paprika over the top and cook in a 375* oven for 40-45 minutes.
As a vegetarian with many non-veggie friends, this is always a winner! :) I have made this quiche soooooo many times, it is a wonder I still have to use the recipe at all! (I always forget what temp, and the amount of milk!) One thing I have been able to omit is the flour and mustard powder in the egg custard... Perhaps this adds some nice flavor, but I have found it tastes just as great without. Also I replace the milk for half and half. Okay, so calorie-wise that won't make people happy - but your tastebuds will love it!
I prepared this in form of 12 small single quiches using a rectangular pie crust, cutting it is square pieces and placed them in a greased muffin this. I made the half of the filling and it was right for the small quiches. It was really wonderful, I loves the combination of mushrooms and thyme. My friends as well really loved this and they were very surprised of the homemade quiches. Thanks a lot posting this recipe!
Great quiche recipe!! I only made 1/3 of the recipe, using my mini pie dish. I agree with Jackie, next time I would pre-bake the pie crust, as the bottom wasn't a nice flaky crust like the rest of it, but otherwise, wouldn't change anything. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for Culinary Quest 2015.