Recipe by peachy_pie
This is a very slightly adapted recipe from Moosewood. This is really amazing for a fat-free, dairy-free and egg-free recipe.
Top Review by Miss Fitz
This is a very easy to make and extremely tasty - very satisfying considering it's quite healthy! I make muffins rather than cake but either way it takes a while to cook and you walk a fine line between under cooked and getting a dry sponge so I'd recommend cooking slowly and checking often! Great recipe though, thanks. x
- 2 cups finely grated carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 cup sultanas or 1 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine carrots, sugar, water, raisins and vanilla in a saucepan. Simmer for 5 minutes, then remove from heat and let stand for at least 1 hour, preferably about 4 or 5.
- Stir together the remaining ingredients in a bowl. Make a well in the centre, add the carrot mixture and stir until just mixed.
- Spoon mixture into 2 x 12 piece muffin tins sprayed with oil.
- Bake at 180 degrees Ceclius for about 10-15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Do not overbake.