We are trying to cook healthier this year. This cornbread uses cooked pumpkin, squash or sweet potato puree. A 4 oz. or 41/2 oz. jar of baby food (check to make sure it is just puree) works well in this recipe. This gives the cornbread a deep golden color.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Prepare an 8 inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the brown sugar, egg white, yogurt or buttermilk, and pumpkin until frothy.
- Sift the cornmeal, flour, salt and baking powder into the mixing bowl.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just mixed.
- Pour the batter into the oiled pan and bake, uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes.