Recipe by mary winecoff
We are trying to cook healthier this year. This cornbread uses cooked pumpkin, squash or sweet potato puree. A 4 oz. or 41/2 oz. jar of baby food (check to make sure it is just puree) works well in this recipe. This gives the cornbread a deep golden color.
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup nonfat yogurt or 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin puree or 1⁄2 cup sweet potatoes or 1⁄2 cup winter squash
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Prepare an 8 inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the brown sugar, egg white, yogurt or buttermilk, and pumpkin until frothy.
- Sift the cornmeal, flour, salt and baking powder into the mixing bowl.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just mixed.
- Pour the batter into the oiled pan and bake, uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes.