This is a rich and delicious pound cake from the Moosewood Cookbook. I have made this in a bundt pan or in two loaf pans.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream together butter and sugar with an electric mixer at high speed till light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Mix together milk and vanilla extract.
- Add dry and wet to butter mixture alternately, beginning and ending with dry. Mix by hand, using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, after each addition.
- Mix thoroughly, just enough to blend.
- Pour into buttered and floured tube or bundt pan (or two loaf pans). Bake 1 hour, or till toothpick inserted into center comes out dry.
- After the cake cools ten minutes, turn out onto a plate.
- Cool completely before you slice it.
Delicious cake. The New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant collection only calls for 2 tsp baking powder and calls for mixing in 2 cups of flour, then the milk/extract and then adding remainder of flour. I did it all with my kitchen aid mixer and it came out moist and with a lovely texture. I do use the Cherry Almond variation, substituting almond extract, reducing the milk to .5 cup, adding 1 cup ground toasted almonds with the flour, and folding in 1.5-2 cups of sour cherries into the batter at the end. Everyone loves it.
This turned out really good!I have never seen a cake rise so high.I was half expecting it to fall some.But, it did not.It has got such a good taste.It came out of the pan just perfect.My mother had been wanting me to make a true pound cake.Well when I made this one today, she told my whole family about it and they all want the recipe!I took a couple of peices to one of my aunts and she thought that it was one of the best cakes that she has ever ate.I think that is pretty high praise .She used to work in a bakery at a grocery store.So, I am sure that she has made alot of cakes.
Awesome recipe!!! I am to make it again. Everyone loved it specially my in laws!!!!