Recipe by pattikay in L.A.
This is a rich and delicious pound cake from the Moosewood Cookbook. I have made this in a bundt pan or in two loaf pans.
Top Review by iowa_baby
Delicious cake. The New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant collection only calls for 2 tsp baking powder and calls for mixing in 2 cups of flour, then the milk/extract and then adding remainder of flour. I did it all with my kitchen aid mixer and it came out moist and with a lovely texture. I do use the Cherry Almond variation, substituting almond extract, reducing the milk to .5 cup, adding 1 cup ground toasted almonds with the flour, and folding in 1.5-2 cups of sour cherries into the batter at the end. Everyone loves it.
- 1 lb sweet butter, room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup milk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream together butter and sugar with an electric mixer at high speed till light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Mix together milk and vanilla extract.
- Add dry and wet to butter mixture alternately, beginning and ending with dry. Mix by hand, using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, after each addition.
- Mix thoroughly, just enough to blend.
- Pour into buttered and floured tube or bundt pan (or two loaf pans). Bake 1 hour, or till toothpick inserted into center comes out dry.
- After the cake cools ten minutes, turn out onto a plate.
- Cool completely before you slice it.