I'm posting this in honor of one of my best friends mom's who first served this to me during high school...my second Jewish mother who always thought I should eat more. She used the Moosewood cookbook for many a fine dinner. Thanks Eileen!
- Cook barley in 1 1/2 cup of the stock or water until tender (cook it right in the soup kettle).
- Add remaining stock or water, tamari and sherry.
- Saute onions and garlic in butter.
- When they soften, add mushrooms and 1/2 tsp salt.
- When all is tender add to barley, being sure to include the liquid the vegetables expressed while cooking.
- Give it a generous grinding of black pepper and simmer 20 minutes, covered, over the lowest possible heat.
- Taste to correct seasoning.