Recipe by Marysdottir
I wanted to save this before I tried it. It is a bit different from the other Moosewood Golden Split Pea Sweet Potato Soup already posted on Zaar. This came from a January 1992 Bon Appetit article on the Moosewood Restaurant.
Top Review by Suse40
This is like a wonderful soup posted on Whole Foods, but has the lime and yogurt garnish, which I though made this soup extra special. They also suggest toasted pumpkin seeds, shelled, for garnish. I used an immersion blender, which made a perfect consistency. Great color!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 2 teaspoons coriander, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 7 cups water (or more if needed)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried yellow split peas
- 6 tablespoons nonfat yogurt
- 6 lime slices
- chopped fresh cilantro (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion and jalapeno and saute until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in ginger and next 4 ingredients and cook 1 minute.
- Mix in 7 cups water, sweet potatoes and split peas.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer about 1.5 hours until potatoes and peas are very tender.
- Whisk soup vigorously for a smoother texture and thin with additional water if needed.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Top each serving with a tablespoon of yogurt, a lime slice and some cilantro to serve.